Zoobird

Dangerously organic!

A letter to the Gainesville Sun editor today stated some opinions worth considering:

"The city of Gainesville has schedule a meeting to discuss site selection for the One-Stop Homeless Service Center this afternoon. At the top of the city’s list is a site located at SW 63rd Boulevard, just south of Archer Road about halfway between I-75 and Tower Road.

The area is a mix of wooded rural homesteads, single-family homes and blue collar mobile home parks. I have discussed this matter with dozens of my neighbors in this area and find that there is absolutely zero support for having it in this location.

The immediate area is heavily wooded, surrounded by a miles-long maze of dirt roads and trails. This would become a magnet for homeless encampments like the one they recently had to eradicate near downtown Gainesville. It would be impossible for law enforcement to effectively police these hidey-holes. The location is not even within city limits.

What is wrong with the numerous vacant commercial properties in the Hawthorne Road area? What about the Kennedy Homes site? What about the big vacant lot where Burrito Brothers used to be? The soon-to-be vacant county fairgrounds has ample electric and water hookups that would be perfect for campsites.

Gainesville wants to be a big city, but they can’t handle the problems that come with it. Their solution is to push their unwanted things out into the lower-priced real estate of the county.

After all, who wants panhandlers outside their fancy new downtown hotel?

William Toreki,

Gainesville"

What do you think?

Views: 6

About

Michael Levin created this Ning Network.

Translate Zoobird

The Zoobird Bookshelf

Click here to visit the Zoobird Bookshelf

Your donation helps to support this website!

Zoobird

Promote Your Page Too

Reading List

Badge

Loading…

Show your colors!

© 2024   Created by Michael Levin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service