Zoobird

Dangerously organic!

PET CARE PROJECT NEWS
November 16, 2008

The First Annual Celebration of the Loyal Dogs & Puurrfect Cats of Tent City was held on October 16, 2008. Through the generosity of Organix Pet Foods, we had 3# bags of both dog food and cat food for all, and several bags for each of the cat colonies (the Tent City Tribe and the Pathway Tribe). We also had animal treats and another very kind donation of cookies for the human animals. It was a beautiful day and a good time was had by all.

The idea of spay/neuter as a kind and helpful measure for dogs and cats is starting to catch on with assistance from the St. Francis Vet Clinic. All our cat colony members are spayed and neutered, and we continue to spay/neuter individual cats and dogs with the help of their caretakers and Catnip Outreach.

Home Van Pet Care Project needs donations of cat and dog food for the holidays, as well as occasional transport to the vet clinic and UF. If you can help, call Elizabeth Howard, Home Van Pet Care Project Coordinator at 352-337-2723.

TATTERED ANGELS

I was recently at a City of Gainesville meeting where a GPD officer referred to the
homeless people of the Lynch Park area as "the dregs of society." Below is my email to the commissioners who sat by in silence during this officer's remarks:

Dear Commissioners,

I was also dismayed at the "dregs of society" remark made by a GPD officer. I have worked with the human beings in Lynch Park for many years. Many of them are the non-survivors of severe sexual and physical abuse throughout their childhoods, and most of them have endured since childhood the ravages of poverty and racism. They have little or no access to healthcare, addiction and mental-health services. They are doing the best they can. Most of them know how to love and care for others, despite their disabilities. A few months ago a
woman was discharged from Shands Hospital with a stomach tube hanging out of her, and medicine that requires refrigeration. She was given cabfare to St. Francis House, where she was turned down for a bed because they had no vacancies. These 'dregs of society' cared for her like she was their own grandmother - bringing her food, helping her back and forth to the bathroom across the street, sitting with her. Then they brought her plight to us and with the help of a local free clinic we were able to get her off the streets and into housing.

I think often of the Bible verse that tells us that homeless strangers may be angels sent to test us. The homeless people around Lynch Park, Tent City and the downtown plaza have been angels in my life. They have taught me patience, courage, and how to love, and are continuing to since I have a long way to go in my spiritual path.

Arupa

On a final note, I want to thank the many, many people on this list who are continuing to shower us with generosity, despite the economic downturn. God bless you all.

love, arupa

Views: 6

About

Michael Levin created this Ning Network.

Translate Zoobird

The Zoobird Bookshelf

Click here to visit the Zoobird Bookshelf

Your donation helps to support this website!

Zoobird

Promote Your Page Too

Reading List

Badge

Loading…

Show your colors!

© 2024   Created by Michael Levin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service