Zoobird

Dangerously organic!

Hi all,

Lets all recommend a classical piece to each other to listen to. I recommend "Canon" by "Johann Pachelbel". What is your recommendation?

Cheers,
Behi

Views: 50

Replies to This Discussion

I love Pachelbel's Canon in D. I am a big fan of the Fugues since they reflect the world I want to live in... one where we all take part and make something bigger and greater than the individual.

In that flavour, I'd suggest Bach's Cello Suite #1 and Ravel's Bolero. All three pieces are great for writing software to.

Another favorite, although a bit bolder, is Orf's Carmina Burana. It's a lot of fun to sing along with. Really rocks!
Commenting on "All three pieces are great for writing software to."

I know this is off the main subject a bit (NPI), but when I was in college I used to listen to Devo when I was coding. It just seemed to fit.
NPI(?) Does that mean not plugged in? I remember listening to "We are Devo" back at University of Houston in the 70's at reprehensible volume. And, fishing printouts out of the trash at the Computing Center trying to figure out how to correct my punchcards and get my Fortran 77 code to run on the Vax 11/780 mainframe.
Hi, I meant to reply to this and instead replied to the first post. I just simply added another good classical suggestion to listen to. I assume you took some lessons from your mom. Do you still play? I think you are plugged in no matter what style of music you enjoy but that, of course, would be a matter of opinion.
The Four Seasons (Le quattro stagioni in original Italian) is a set of four violin concertos by Antonio Vivaldi. Composed in 1723, The Four Seasons is Vivaldi's best-known work, and is among the most popular pieces of Baroque music. The work has been recorded on numerous occasions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9to1auUNTk
My favorite acoustic version of Pachelbels Cannon.
I am going with an Argentinean composer named Astor Piazzolla and his piece
Ave Maria. He wrote classical music with a touch of Tango.
Even bolder? "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" by John Adams is a quick introduction to his minimalist style. Adams is a leading contemporary American classical composer who happens to live a few blocks away from me in Berkeley. I ran into him at a garage sale a few years ago - at his house!

Michael
Hi Frank,

I wanted to listen to your performances and buy some of the tracks but looks like that page is not on their web site anymore. Any ideas what's happened to it?

Looks like nowadays CS students are not as much into the music as they used to be, which is a Bad Thing: http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:rxZra6BuCNEJ:tex.loria.fr/hist...

Here's the relevant paragraph:

Knuth: There is a very profound change that I can't account for. In the 70s, the majority of our students were very interested in music. The first thing we'd ask them when they came in was "What instrument do you play?" We had lots of chamber groups and so on. Now almost none of the students are interested in music. I don't know if it's because a different kind of people are enrolling in computer science, or because it's true of all today's students, or what. If you ask computer science students now what their hobby is, the chances are most of them will say "Bicycling". I recently had one who played a harmonica, but there were almost no musicians in the group.

Have you noticed the same thing?

By the way, I think if you put your recordings on iTunes, it will be accessible to a much larger audience.

Cheers,
Behi
Fantastic! I also like to listen to classical pieces
when I am coding.

Vivaldi's 4 Seasons is also great. I have listened to
that probably a thousand times. I was also a Mozart
addict... it all started with Symphony No. 40 of course ;-)

Carmina Burana is epical :-) I don't know what the lyrics
mean but nevertheless I enjoy listening to it!

Thanks for the recommendations! I will try to find
the ones I have not listened to. I think that will keep
me busy for a week or so!

Frank, Bells of the Night was very beautiful and
nostalgic I might add.

Cheers,
Behi
One of the most moving pieces I've heard is Arvo Part" (umlaut over the a) Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten. (Another minimalist)

Carla
Hi Everyone, I have many I could recommend since I teach piano but the one I'll recommend today is Debussy's Suite Bergamasque which includes Clair de Lune. Happy listening.

RSS

About

Michael Levin created this Ning Network.

Translate Zoobird

The Zoobird Bookshelf

Click here to visit the Zoobird Bookshelf

Your donation helps to support this website!

Zoobird

Promote Your Page Too

Reading List

Badge

Loading…

Show your colors!

© 2024   Created by Michael Levin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service